Monday, 11 December 2017
The tunnel stroll, before the buses roll
Tim Williams | Adelaide Advertiser
IT’S purpose is to slash commuter travel times to the city, but yesterday Adelaideans took to the new O-Bahn tunnel at a more leisurely pedestrian pace.
Buses will start running through the 670m, $160 million tunnel today.
“The O-Bahn tunnel is about easing the commute for more than 30,000 people who use the service every day,” Premier Jay Weatherill said yesterday.
“It’s not just bus passengers who’ll benefit. “Creating an extra lane for buses along Hackney Rd and detouring them into the tunnel means more road space for other vehicles.”
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan was again forced to fend off criticism from the Dignity Party that the tunnel lacked sufficient safety features for evacuating people with disabilities in emergency situations.
He said the tunnel had been designed and tested for situations including a bus catching on fire in the tunnel.
Mr Mullighan also addressed Adelaide City Council concerns about the impact of more buses on the deteriorating road surface along Grenfell St.
He said the council was trying to get the State Government to pay for local road maintenance costs.