Monday, 25 September 2017
Dignity Party demands bipartisan approach to court evidence disaster
Dignity Party MP Kelly Vincent demands that the Government and Opposition ensure today’s Cabinet meetings vote to prioritise the passage of legislation, which retrospectively allows children’s video evidence to be heard in court.
This follows last week’s revelation that bureaucratic bungling within SA Health meant Child Protection Services staff were not correctly authorised to collect video evidence from vulnerable young people and people.
“The Labor Government and Liberal Opposition must make the passing of this legislation their number one priority when Parliament resumes tomorrow,” says Kelly Vincent.
“I will not have a situation where cases are thrown out of court because of SA Health staff incompetence.
“I’m absolutely furious that, once again, abused children have potentially been failed by the justice and child protection systems in this state.
“I have worked for years with disability and child protection advocates to enable laws, policy, and training so that we see alleged child abuse perpetrators brought to justice.
“For these reforms to now be jeopardised, and risk violent criminals walking free as a result, is not just completely unacceptable – it is dangerous. It could make South Australia, whose lead other states have been following, a laughing stock.
“If children can’t rely on Government to protect them, then we have failed as a community in the most abhorrent way.
“That someone didn’t do their job, and consequently, several court cases are now at risk, means the Parliament must act swiftly to rectify the situation,” said Ms Vincent.